Leo is a lifelong resident of our Southside. His family's roots date back to the Missions and Canary Island settlers.
- Leo married his wonderful wife Melva 40 years ago! They’ve been blessed with two sons and two grandsons. Family, faith, neighborhood, education, and hard work provide the bedrock of Leo’s success.
- Leo’s an active member of the St. Lawrence Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus.
- A proud graduate of Harlandale High School, Leo’s a strong and dedicated advocate for highest-quality public schools. Leo understands the role and benefit of Catholic schools, also, having received his early education St. Leo the Great Catholic School. Because of his support for schools, teachers and children, Leo received a ringing endorsement from the Texas State Teacher’s Association and the American Federation of Teachers.
- Leo’s worked hard all his life. Growing up with 8 siblings, he began earning money by changing tires as a teenager, progressively rising through the ranks to selling tires then becoming a regional tire-sales manager. He was a VIA bus driver, joining the Amalgamated Transit Workers. He began studying human resources and management while employed and working his way up in life.
- Leo earned his Associate’s degree from San Antonio College, his Bachelor’s in Business Management from Texas A&M University San Antonio, and his Master of Public Administration from the University of Texas at San Antonio, all while working full time. He was the first of his family to earn a university degree.
- Passionate about education and non-discrimination, Leo serves presently as the professional human resource specialist at Palo Alto College. As an adjunct professor, he’s taught at San Antonio College and at the UTSA, instructing students in public administration, management, and labor relations.
- In serving on the Alamo Community Colleges District 2017 Citizen’s Bond Advisory Committee, Leo helped to secure the $23 million for an Education Training Center for the Southside positioned on Southside ISD property.